Tickets for this event are no longer available.
- 1 hr 45 mins Duration* Due to the nature of live music, the duration listed is an estimate only.
- 20 mins Interval
- Piano Solo Instrument
- Elder Hall Location
- Special Event Category
It’s the ultimate coming-of-age story… A young musician takes up residence in a new city, unlocks the power of classical music to express human struggle and triumph, and establishes himself as an artist of the highest calibre. What took Beethoven 15 years and five piano concertos to achieve in Vienna will be retold and relived by Australian virtuoso Jayson Gillham over two weeks in Adelaide under the baton of our Principal Conductor, Nicholas Carter.
Elder Hall becomes our intimate Viennese theatre, circa 1800, as four concerts chart the radical shift from Classicism to Romanticism impelled by Beethoven’s music. The strikingly bold First Concerto rubs shoulders with Haydn and Mozart – a nod to Beethoven’s ambitious programming at his breakthrough benefit concert. Later Viennese composers, followers in Beethoven’s footsteps, share the remaining programs: Brahms complements the powerful drama of the Third Concerto, Schoenberg’s intensity is answered by the gentleness of the Fourth, and Schubert lays the platform for the invigorating assurance of the mighty Fifth. Be part of this special event; the first ever live recording of all Beethoven Piano Concertos by ABC Classics.
As a condition of entry all persons aged 12 and over will need to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid medical exemption to gain entry to this event.
- Patrons will need to show their COVID-19 digital certificate on their smart device (as part of the QR Code check in process) OR provide photo identification with a printed immunisation certificate.
- Those with an official medical exemption will need to show their certificate of exemption
- For the safety of our patrons and players, please do not attend a concert if you feel unwell or have cold or flu-like symptoms.
Program to include
- Brahms Tragic Overture
- Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 2
- Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 3