Romantic Rachmaninov - Master Series 5
Nicholas Carter - Conductor
Amy Dickson - Alto Saxophone
Fauré - Pelléas et Mélisande: Suite
James MacMillan - Saxophone Concerto
Rachmaninov - Symohony No.3
Amy Dickson, Australian saxophone virtuoso, returns to Adelaide! And she brings a brand new concerto written for her by Scottish composer James MacMillan, whose Viola Concerto made a powerful impact here in 2015.
While MacMillan’s music wears its heart on its sleeve, Gabriel Fauré’s music is a paragon of French subtlety and nuance. Maeterlinck’s Symbolist play Pelléas et Mélisande is a fairytale rich in hidden meanings and unuttered truths. Fauré’s suite (including the delicate, much loved ‘Sicilienne’) reads between the lines as only music can.
Rachmaninov is known for his romantic tunes and sweeping lyricism, but threaded throughout his Third Symphony is something subtler as well – a soft prayer-like theme, intoned at the beginning and weaving its way to the end, permeating all.
Leave a Comment
- Fri 17 Aug, 2018 8:00pm
- Sat 18 Aug, 2018 6:30pm
- Concession $99.00 Pensioner, Student, Unemployed
- Family $288.00 2 x Adult and 2 x Children
- Concession $85.00 Pensioner, Student, Unemployed
- 30 and under $50.00
- Family $252.00 2 x Adult and 2 x Children
- Concession $71.00 Pensioner, Student, Unemployed
- Family $216.00 2 x Adult and 2 x Children
- Concession $60.00 Pensioner, Student, Unemployed
- Family $189.00 2 x Adult and 2 x Children
Subscriptions on sale now! Subscribe online today to as few as three concerts to gain access ticket discounts, and special subscriber benefits.