Sibelius Ablaze - Master Series 8
Douglas Boyd - Conductor
Celia Craig - Oboe
Haydn - Symphony No.96 'The Miracle'
Judith Weir - Oboe Concerto
Sibelius - Symphony No.5
The final chords of Sibelius’s Fifth Symphony ring out into the silence, and it’s like you’re gliding at 10,000 feet. The whole symphony is one almighty surge upwards, following the flock of swans that flew over Sibelius one day and inspired the magnificent horn theme of the last movement.
Three oboe players converge: Douglas Boyd conducts as Celia Craig (ASO’s Principal Oboe) takes a new concerto on its maiden flight; it has been written especially for her by Judith Weir, whose music is much admired for its clarity and lightness. The sense of lift begins with Haydn’s Symphony No.96, the first one he wrote for his enthusiastic London fans. A bright, effervescent work with trumpets, timpani…and another oboe solo!
Leave a Comment
- Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:00pm
- Sat 13 Oct, 2018 6:30pm
- Concession $99.00 Pensioner, Student, Unemployed
- Family $288.00 2 x Adult and 2 x Children
- Concession $85.00 Pensioner, Student, Unemployed
- 30 and under $50.00
- Family $252.00 2 x Adult and 2 x Children
- Concession $71.00 Pensioner, Student, Unemployed
- Family $216.00 2 x Adult and 2 x Children
- Concession $60.00 Pensioner, Student, Unemployed
- Family $189.00 2 x Adult and 2 x Children
A $5.00 Transaction fee applies for tickets purchased through Adelaide Symphony Orchestra
Subscriptions on sale now! Subscribe online today to as few as three concerts to gain access ticket discounts, and special subscriber benefits.