Tickets for this event are no longer available.
- 80 mins Duration* Due to the nature of live music, the duration listed is an estimate only.
- Violin Solo Instrument
- Festival Theatre Location
- Special Event Category
An Academic Festival Overture might not sound like a lively concert opener, but not true for Brahms. The overture includes a boisterous potpourri of student songs, combining tunes more likely to be heard from drunken undergraduates. Blended with Brahms’ signature rich, warm, and intricate style, this music is as masterful as it is tongue in cheek.
A far cry from Brahms’ humour, Smetana’s The Moldau is a heartfelt expression of patriotic love. Taking quintessentially Romantic inspiration from nature, Smetana vividly depicts the Czech Republic’s longest river, Vltava as two interweaving flutes trace the river’s beginnings before leading us on through the rolling countryside towards Prague.
Although it languished in obscurity for decades after its premiere, Beethoven’s Violin Concerto is now recognised as a masterwork. Throwing the idea of a concerto as a capricious showpiece to one side, this music overflows with tenderness, purity, and beauty. A work of such restraint and control perfectly matches the effortless composure of its soloist, ASO Concertmaster Natsuko Yoshimoto. 2020 is Natsuko’s final year as Concertmaster at the ASO.
In order to create a safe environment for audiences, players and staff, seating will be allocated in a checkerboard arrangement, with one empty seat between all patrons. For more information about Adelaide Festival Centre’s COVID-Safe performance protocols, please click here.
As a condition of entry all persons aged 12 and over will need to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid medical exemption to gain entry to this event.
- Patrons will need to show their COVID-19 digital certificate on their smart device (as part of the QR Code check in process) OR provide photo identification with a printed immunisation certificate.
- Those with an official medical exemption will need to show their certificate of exemption
- For the safety of our patrons and players, please do not attend a concert if you feel unwell or have cold or flu-like symptoms.
Dane Lam Conductor
Natsuko Yoshimoto Soloist
Program to include
- Brahms Academic Festival Overture
- Smetana Vlatava (The Moldau)
- Beethoven Violin Concerto