Tickets for this event are no longer available.
- 2 hrs 10 mins Duration* Due to the nature of live music, the duration listed is an estimate only.
- 20 mins Interval
- Clarinet Solo Instrument
- Adelaide Town Hall Location
Autumn. What is most beautiful cannot be held…
In Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto, the solo instrument feels nearly weightless, a leaf on the wind. What other instrument can flutter so gently through an Allegro, or sigh so blissfully in an Adagio? Andreas Ottensamer, principal clarinet of the Berlin Philharmonic, performs a piece that Mozart did not live to hear.
Mahler, likewise, never heard his Ninth Symphony. This is music that embraces the world in all its richness, with ardour and tenderness, and then – reluctantly – lets it go. Bernstein called it “Four Ways to Say Farewell.” With the faltering grasp of its heart-rending last movement, the symphony finally surrenders to the sound beyond all music: silence.
CODA / Thursday night only: After the concert, Andreas Ottensamer returns to the stage to play Mahler’s (arr. Ottensamer) Ich bin der Welt abhanden [O garish world, long since thou hast lost me] and a selection from Mendelssohn’s (arr. Ottensamer) Lieder ohne Worte [Songs without words].
As a condition of entry all persons aged 12 and over will need to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid medical exemption to gain entry to this event.
- Patrons will need to show their COVID-19 digital certificate on their smart device (as part of the QR Code check in process) OR provide photo identification with a printed immunisation certificate.
- Those with an official medical exemption will need to show their certificate of exemption
- For the safety of our patrons and players, please do not attend a concert if you feel unwell or have cold or flu-like symptoms.
Program to include
- Mozart Clarinet Concerto
- Mahler Symphony No.9