Tickets for this event are no longer available.
- 2hrs Duration* Due to the nature of live music, the duration listed is an estimate only.
- 20 mins Interval
- Horn Solo Instrument
- Adelaide Town Hall Location
- Mingling Room Category
Please note in light of the recent directive from the Australian Government Department of Health, that a limit of no more than 100 people for non-essential indoor gatherings, international travel restrictions and self-distancing measures are now in place nationwide, we regret that, these performances have been cancelled
For the latest Management Statement on the impact of COVID-19, please visit www.aso.com.au/coronavirus
It’s horn playing of the highest calibre, and it’s home-grown! Andrew Bain is now the Principal Horn of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, but he grew up in Adelaide and began his career with the ASO. We welcome him back with a specially commissioned Horn Concerto from Australian composer Paul Dean, a brand new work to showcase his hard-won mastery of this noble instrument.
Our own ASO horns have some special parts to play too. Richard Strauss’ trailblazing tone poem features a vaulting horn theme at its centre that perfectly encapsulates the shameless audacity of Don Juan. And Shostakovich’s masterful Tenth Symphony seems destined for a tragic end until a horn call deﬁantly lights up its third movement, like a beacon of hope.
Your concert ticket includes entry to The Mingling Room, a free one hour talk held in the Meeting Hall, located just behind Adelaide Town Hall.
*World Premiere co-commissioned by the ASO and Aspen Music Festival.
Conditions of Entry
As a condition of entry all persons aged 12 and over will need to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid medical exemption to gain entry to ALL Adelaide Symphony Orchestra concerts scheduled in 2022.
- Patrons will need to show their COVID-19 digital certificate on their smart device (as part of the QR Code check in process) OR provide photo identification with a printed immunisation certificate.
- Those with an official medical exemption will need to show their certificate of exemption and provide a recent negative test result no older than 72 hours.
- For the safety of our patrons and players, please do not attend a concert if you feel unwell or have cold or flu-like symptoms, or have been in contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case 14 days prior.
Program to include
- Strauss Don Juan
- Paul Dean Horn Concerto*
- Shostakovich Symphony No.10