Tickets for this event are no longer available.
- 2hrs Duration* Due to the nature of live music, the duration listed is an estimate only.
- 20 mins Interval
- Violin Solo Instrument
- Adelaide Town Hall Location
- Mingling Room, ReMastered Category
Exciting young conductor Elim Chan leads a celebration of life in all its fullness. Copland’s Appalachian Spring portrays a couple of newly-wed American pioneers with touching tenderness, while Bernstein’s West Side Story ﬁzzes with passion and excitement.
A new piece by our Composer in Association takes inspiration from South Australia’s incredible Ediacaran fossils. They made their mark in Flinders Ranges sandstone over half a billion years ago – now what imprint will they leave in Cathy Milliken’s latest work?
In the midst of all this, James Ehnes performs Barber’s Violin Concerto. Lovely and lyrical, it was once criticised for being too ‘small’ for a concerto, ‘like placing a small basket of dainty flowers among tall cactus in a vast prairie’, … but actually, what a lovely idea!
Your concert ticket includes entry to The Mingling Room, a free one hour talk held in the Meeting Hall, located just behind Adelaide Town Hall.
*World Premiere Commissioned by the ASO, inspired by the South Australian Museum Ediacaran fossil collection.
Ticket buyers to these concerts will be invited to exclusive activities presented in association with the South Australian Museum.
As a condition of entry all persons aged 12 and over will need to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid medical exemption to gain entry to this event.
- Patrons will need to show their COVID-19 digital certificate on their smart device (as part of the QR Code check in process) OR provide photo identification with a printed immunisation certificate.
- Those with an official medical exemption will need to show their certificate of exemption
- For the safety of our patrons and players, please do not attend a concert if you feel unwell or have cold or flu-like symptoms.
Program to include
- Copland Appalachian Spring: Suite
- Barber Violin Concerto
- Cathy Milliken New Work*
- Bernstein Symphonic Dances from West Side Story