Tickets for this event are no longer available.
A world premiere by Nigel Westlake is a major event. You’ve heard his music on film (Babe, Miss Potter, Paper Plane), in concert (including his collaboration with Lior, Compassion) and on the radio (thanks to which his ‘Penguin Ballet’ has become one of the great Australian ear-worms).
In collaboration with Adelaide Festival Centre’s Guitar Festival 2021, the ASO is thrilled to present Nigel Westlake’s Concerto for Two Guitars, Toward Takayna, written for Australia’s iconic guitar duo, Slava and Leonard Grigoryan.
Presented on Anzac Day eve, the program also includes the haunting orchestral suite Westlake created from his music for Hannie Rayson’s play The Glass Soldier. Westlake tells the incredible story of Nelson Ferguson, blinded on the killing fields of World War I, and the wonder, love and resolution of his life. The concert also features Westlake’s dynamic and beloved Antarctica suite, with Slava Grigoryan as soloist.
Program to include
- Westlake Towards Takayna Concerto for Two Guitars [World Premiere]
- Westlake Antarctica Suite for Guitar and Orchestra
- Westlake The Glass Soldier
- 110 mins, including a 20 min interval Duration* Due to the nature of live music, the duration listed is an estimate only.
- Guitar Solo Instrument
- Festival Theatre Location