Tickets for this event are no longer available.
- 20 mins Interval
- Piano Solo Instrument
- Adelaide Town Hall Location
Rachmaninov was notoriously self-critical. ‘I’m perpetually dissatisfied with myself. Nothing but continuous torture’ he wrote just before he created one of the most thrilling of all works for piano and orchestra, his Third Concerto. Full of passion and beauty, this is an Everest of the pianist’s repertoire, and finds its ideal soloist in Konstantin Shamray.
Humperdinck’s Hansel and Gretel is one of the world’s most popular operas, and the orchestral suite conveys beautifully the luminous charm of the score, from the beloved Evening Prayer to the joyous music with which the children celebrate their victory over the witch.
The concert opens with a powerful exploration of the myths and legends surrounding the most magnetic of all naturally occurring minerals found on Earth. British composer Emily Howard’s, contemporary orchestral classic receives its Australian premiere under Conductor Johannes Fritzsch.
Join us one hour prior to the concert for a Classical Conversation between Konstantin Shamray and ASO Principal Piccolo, Julia Grenfell.
As a condition of entry all persons aged 12 and over will need to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid medical exemption to gain entry to this event.
- Patrons will need to show their COVID-19 digital certificate on their smart device (as part of the QR Code check in process) OR provide photo identification with a printed immunisation certificate.
- Those with an official medical exemption will need to show their certificate of exemption
- For the safety of our patrons and players, please do not attend a concert if you feel unwell or have cold or flu-like symptoms.
Program to include
- Emily Howard Magnetite [Australian Premiere]
- Humperdinck Hansel and Gretel (Suite)
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.3