Tickets for this event are no longer available.
- 2 hrs Duration* Due to the nature of live music, the duration listed is an estimate only.
- 20 mins Interval
- Violin Solo Instrument
- Adelaide Town Hall Location
- Mingling Room, ReMastered Category
There are many reasons why Dvořák’s Ninth Symphony continues to be a favourite: the melding of Bohemian and American musical influences, the sublime Largo, the dramatic arc linking all four movements. It became an instant hit at its premiere 125 years ago.
Such things can happen at premieres – so don’t miss the new work *Weave by our Composer in Association, Cathy Milliken! Anthony Marwood then brings his customary flair and originality to Schumann’s Violin Concerto, a piece that was hidden away for 80 years by those who feared it presaged something of the composer’s subsequent mental collapse. In fact, it’s delightfully tuneful music, especially the violin and cello dialogue of the slow movement, and its final Polonaise has a beguiling simplicity.
CODA / Thursday night only: After the concert Anthony Marwood and Natsuko Yoshimoto return to the stage to perform Dvořák’s miniatures.
Your concert ticket includes entry to The Mingling Room, a free one hour talk held in the Meeting Hall, located just behind Adelaide Town Hall.
*World Premiere, ASO commission
As a condition of entry all persons aged 12 and over will need to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid medical exemption to gain entry to this event.
- Patrons will need to show their COVID-19 digital certificate on their smart device (as part of the QR Code check in process) OR provide photo identification with a printed immunisation certificate.
- Those with an official medical exemption will need to show their certificate of exemption
- For the safety of our patrons and players, please do not attend a concert if you feel unwell or have cold or flu-like symptoms.
Program to include
- Cathy Milliken Weave [World Premiere]
- Schumann Violin Concerto
- Dvořák Symphony No.9 'From the New World'